Friday, July 18, 2008

Going Musical

Baba's always been musical. You can find him humming to himself when he's in a REALLY good mood. And music soothes him. I think I get that part of me from him. After presenting Ujji with books for his birthday, we were discussing other gifts we could've bought him. We came up with musical instruments. Honestly, Ujji's not someone who'd go buy some such thing for himself. So it would've been a good gift. And that got me thinking.

I've always wanted to buy an instrument for myself. And thanks to Baba's musical gene, I've made them buy me stuff earlier :). However, over the last 3 years I've given myself reasons not to do certain things I want to - buying an instrument is just one among them. Ujji's birthday kinda broke that spell.

After much experimenting, researching and thinking, I realized, saxophones need too much room in your lungs. So do flutes (don't go by the sheer size-difference between these instruments). Mine barely help me breath normally! Baba suggested the sitar. And while it's a really good suggestion, I don't see myself sitting with a sitar after the first few times (and I wouldn't want to see an instrument lying around, unused). Aai went back to casios... I'd love to play a piano someday, but then the mind goes to... "Nah... Not something I'd buy for a LONG-long time". So it's the most common instrument - the guitar. Hmph.

I have nothing against the instrument, except... everybody wants to play the damn thing! Looking at it's pros, though - It's affordable (at this point), it's something I can take along wherever, I can learn it by myself off the internet and most important... I think I'll look good on it, Heh! So there, I'm buying a guitar.

P.S: I might just mention this - the idea of an instrument occurred to me 'coz a friend mentioned he bought a guitar. This was a few days before Ujji's birthday. Now I'm thinking - is that why I'm buying a guitar? Hmm. Well, if it's so... so be it! I'm still buying one. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Sudi said...

guitar... awesome .... thats one of my collection... we think so much alike .... have been thinkin of buying a saxophone since a while now. and differing from ur thots i still wanna buy and trust me is gonna be cool.... :)

happy days with ur guitar .. any tips .. ring me through

Anushree said...

as u rightly said every1 wants to the play the guitar...and i m no exception! :D plus it looks stylish :D
but yeah the sound frm a saxophone beats them all....wish i cud learn it.

Smini said...

Hey Cool, All the Best...
Nice to know u and sudi think alike. but I hope the similarity ends there... coz he doesn't play it. Its more ornamental in his home.

After some years-- u can see a painted guitar on his wall.. :o)(Sorry sudi-- Me being "Bad" as usual)

Pranjal said...

@ sudi - Good. Buy that Saxophone. Will give me enough reason to visit you in Chennai :)... And if I make any advances... you'll be the first to know :)...

@ pooja/anushree - Me bowled over by the sound of a saxophone too :)... For now though, shall get my hands dirty with a guitar ;)... Btw, what's keeping you from buying one?!

@ smini - Hahaha... I hope the similarity ends there too... For now, josh seems to be 'full-on'... Hope it lasts long enough for me to be able to play all the chords atleast :)!

Santosh said...

Yeah ! Sooo Cool ! Do learn to play the "Pariyon Ka Mela Hai" tune from Satte Pe Satta... All time Fav Guitar tune :0)

Cheers!