Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My epic saga

Marriage is quite an event in India. On second thought, it's quite an event in any culture - different rituals, different styles, different scenarios. The bottom line being - "Two people agreeing on sharing their lives together". That statement sounds real simple. And maybe it is. Except, we as humans complicate the whole 'agreeing' part.

I've had my share of agreements and disagreements with men. And honestly for some time I wanted to be by myself. The nagging never ceased, though. It's a conflict when you want to stay away from any kind of companionship and others want you to get a taste of it. For a long time I was resisting the idea of sharing my happy-go-lucky life with another person; someone I hadn't met before-hand, someone I wasn't familiar with, someone I hadn't spent quality time with. My whole argument started and ended with - "I'm way too comfortable with myself. Why compromise on that?!" I was never against the concept of marriage, but the minute it came to choosing someone, I'd prepare a list of prereqs. With every new person I met, the list seemed to get more complicated, more rigid.

Sometime in November, I had dinner with two of my colleagues. One of them - 45, happily married, father of two kids. The other - 35, happily single, trying to understand the need for marriage. After a casual discussion on the pros and cons of being married, the older chap said something that ticked off a thought in my mind. "The more time we spend deciding who we spend the rest of our lives with,", he said, "the more we want that person to be exactly like us." Turns out, that was right where I was heading with my list of prereqs. And I'm thinking - If I do end up finding someone exactly like me, life would be such a drag, wouldn't it? Yet, I didn't want to give up on my comfort level. Where was I to find someone unlike me and someone I was comfortable with?!

A few weeks and I was tired of thinking. I could feel the resistance in me. And like they say, "What one resists, persists". The thinking, analyzing, arguing just kept coming back. Each time with more complicated questions. Eventually, I gave up. I stopped thinking. Even if I sensed my thought process going towards the subject, I'd consciously turn my thoughts towards something else. Thankfully, it paid off.

In that state of stupor, I met someone and without the aid of my thinking mind, nodded a yes. Life hasn't been the same since. We got engaged in December and married in February. I've enjoyed every single moment of every single event. And yes, kept my thinking mind aside ALL the time. Life has never felt so beautiful! Maybe that's what they mean when they say - "Go with the flow"?!

Wishing all you guys a wonderful Holi!

15 comments:

Smini said...

Yeahhhhhhhhh Girl... WIsh U Loads of Happiness and a very happy married Life...


"Dont Think".... Thats the right word.....


Do send me some pics pleaseeeeeeee

Deepti Dani said...

Welcome back, Pranjal!

Pranjal said...

@ Smini - Thanks a ton, woman! Am still keeping the 'thinking mind' aside :P...

@ Deepti - Thanks! Feels good to be back :)...

Anushree said...

Yay girl...welcome back!

Pranjal said...

Thanks da! Nice to be back too :P!

Anonymous said...

Hellow !

Couldnt agree more :-)
Congratulations and marriage pics please !

Dhaval.

eyememyself said...

Hey congratulations:) Wish you tons of happiness!

Just got back to your blog after a long time and was pleasantly surprised:) Loved this post!

cheers!

Pranjal said...

@ Dhaval - Thanks a ton! I've sent you the Picassa link :)...

@ EyeMeMyself - Thanks a ton! Glad to know you still drop by this page :)... Hope all's well at your end.

spiff said...

Oh Boy!

Well, first of all congratulations and wishing u a wonderful life ahead.

U know what, I remember checking ur blog site sometime ago and was thinking, what's wrong, why no more blogs...and i thought, out of the blue, is she getting married or something?!!

Little did i know...Little did i know!!

I guess, I will not send you an invite to join the "Do not marry" club anymore. haha

But, cheers and good luck once again.

Pranjal said...

Thanks a ton :). And yes, no more - "Do not marry" - club for me :P!

Although I must say, I kinda got to know who "spiff"really is, after your last comment. That's vintage spiff style of writing/talking ;).

Anyways, thanks for your wishes and I hope all's well at your end.

Take Care

Unknown said...

Congrats Bonde!!!!
Really great news and couldn't be happier for you!!
Do send me the pictures of the wedding...u sure must've made a beautiful bride!!:)

Love,
Khan

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your wedding, Pranjal. Can't be happier for you. :)

I know you from way back and remember you for your spirit. Hope that it is still shining through.

Oh and a Happy Birthday as well! :D

Pranjal said...

Thanks Anon!

Nice of you to remember. I'm really touched :).

Anonymous said...

Came here bloghopping and landed on this post!
Nice one.. and very true! And I went through the same set of emotions too.. But I did not give up on my pre-reqs and thankfully, I am happy now and going with the flow!
But yes, I agree.. Dont think! Just go with the flow!

car rental services said...

"I quite like looking through an article that will make people think.

Also, thank you for allowing me to comment
"

- car rental services | car rental india | car rental in india